The new Evanovich!
Well, new is relative. It’s the most recent Evanovich.
Here’s the thing. I used to really love these books. But they’ve become so formulaic it’s not fun anymore. It’s just…another one of these books. It’s like paint by numbers for mysteries, which is sad because this was such a unique concept when she first started them.
Checklist for a Stephanie Plum mystery:
- Find a dead guy in a weird and creepy way. Check, she found an ice cream factory guy in a stolen refrigerated truck, covered in chocolate and nuts like an ice cream bar.
- Still torn between Ranger and Morelli? Yep. Double dipping a little bit? Yep.
- Wacky side gig for Lula? Check, she and another recurring character are working on an audition tape for “Naked and Afraid” which involves a lot of random activities and hijinks.
- Grandma Mazur side plot? Yep. Involving dating? Yep.
- Stephanie has to take an undercover job she’s terrible at? Yep.
- Poorly executed attempts at capturing felons? Not so many as usual but still present.
I just want to see some progress. SOMETHING. Can we get a little movement on anything? Character growth? Circumstances changing somewhat? A DIFFERENT PLOT LINE, PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU.
If you like to read the same book over and over, this is a great addition to the Plum series.